Canada is a very vast and beautiful nation. There are so many beautiful sights to visit in Canada, but the one that stands out are the several National Parks in Canada. If you are someone who enjoys and appreciates nature, you will truly enjoy visiting the national parks of Canada.
Most visitors would visit the big cities in Canada but if you want to see the true natural beauty of Canada, then you should definitely visit these beautiful National Parks.
According to me, Canadian National Parks are a must-visit for travellers. Canada has around 328,000 km of land where the National Parks are located. There are around 48 National Parks in Canada some of which are extremely beautiful and are the most visited.
Here is a list of National Parks in Canada-
1. Banff National Park- Alberta
2. Glacier National Park- British Columbia
3. Yoho National Park- British Columbia
4. Waterton Lakes National Park- Alberta
5. Jasper National Park- Alberta
6. Elk Island National Park- Alberta
7. Mount Revelstoke National Park- British Columbia
8. Thousand Island National Park (St. Laurence Island National Park)- Ontario
9. Point Pelle National Park- Ontario
10. Kootenay National Park- British Columbia
11. Wood Buffalo National Park- Alberta and Northwest Territories
12. Prince Albert National Park- Saskatchewan
13. Riding Mountain National Park- Manitoba
14. Georgian Bay National Park- Ontario
15. Cape Breton Highlands National Park- Nova Scotia
16. Prince Edward Island National Park- Prince Edward Island
17. Fundy National Park- Brunswick
18. Terra Nova National Park- Newfoundland and Labrador
19. La Mauricie National Park- Quebec
20. Gros Morne National Park- Newfoundland and Labrador
21. Kejimkujik National Park- Nova Scotia
22. Forillon National Park – Qubec
23. Kluane National Park Reserve- Yukon
24. Nahanni National Park Reserve- Northwest Territories
25. Pukaskwa National Park- Ontario
26. Kouchibouguac National Park- New Brunswick
27. Auyuittuk National Park- Nunavut
28. Grassland National Park- Saskatchewan
29. Mingan Archipelago National Park Reserve- Quebec
30. Ivvavik National Park- Yukon
31. Quttinirpaaq National Park- Nunavut
32. Bruce Peninsula National Park- Ontario
33. Aulavik National Park- Northwest Territories
34. Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve and Hida Heritage Sight- British Columbia
35. Vuntut National Park- Yukon
36. Wapusk National Park- Manitoba
37. Tuktut Nogait National Park- Northwest Territories
38. Sirmilik National Park- Nunawut
39. Pacific Rim National Park- British Columbia
40. Ukkusiksalik National Park- Nunawut
41. Torngat Mountains National Park- Newfoundland and Labrador
42. Gulf Island National Park Reserve- British Columbia
43. Sable Island National Park Reserve of Canada- Nova Scotia
44. Naats’isch’oh National Park Reserve- Northwest Territories
45. Qausuittuq National Park- Nunawut
46. Akamiuapishkkakkasuakmealy Mountains National Park Reserve- Newfoundland and Labrador
47. Rouge National Urban Park- Ontario
48. Thaidenenene National Park Reserve- Northwest Territories.
10 Most Visited and Beautiful National Parks in Canada-
Here is the list of 10 most visited National Parks in Canada-
1. Banff National Park-
Banff National Park is one of the most visited national Park of Canada. It is located in Alberta and can be a perfect place to start your Canada tour. The ideal time to visit Banff National Park would be the summer season, in the months between June to August or December to March. During this time, the weather is warm and hotel rates are pocket-friendly.
Some of the highlights of Banff National Park are, Bow Falls, the majestic falls that should not be missed. Whyte Museum, Banff Upper Hot springs, Johnston Canyon, Lake Minnewaska, Banff Gondola, Peyto Lake, Sunshine Meadows, Lake Louise and Moraine Lake are the other popular highlights of the Banff National Park.
2. Jasper National Park-
Jasper National Park, also located in Alberta, is one of the best options for those who like adventure sports. It is also a great camping site for the adventurous souls.
The ideal time to visit Jasper National Park is when it gets a little chilly, mostly in the months of March-May or September as the crowd is less and you can enjoy the sights more. Jasper National Park offers adventure sports activities like rock climbing and mountain hiking. It also offers a variety of scenic beauty including mountains, glaciers, lakes and waterfalls.
3. Nahanni National Park-
Nahanni National Park is located in the Northwest Territories in Canada. This is a location where visitors can reach through floatplane; making it another great place for outdoor enthusiasts. This is also a very beautiful National Park that you can add in your list of places to visit.
The ideal time to visit Nahanni National Park is in between the months of June to August as the weather gets risky towards the end of August. The main highlights of this National Park are Virginia Falls, Lotus Flower Tower, Broken Skull River. The river also offers activities like river rafting. Mountain climbing and hiking are other adventure activities that could be enjoyed in the national park.
4. Pacific Rim National Park-
Pacific Rim National Park is situated in British Columbia and is divided into three sections named as Long Beach, Broken Group and West Coast Trail. This National Park also offers adventure sports activities.
Pacific Rim National Park can be visited all year round but the summer season is considered the best season for hiking. For other places, you could visit the national park in the winter season. Long Beach Island has a beach spot and offers activities like surfing. Broken Group is a small group of islands and offers water sports activities. The West Coast Trail is a hiking trail which is near the Pacific Ocean and stretches for miles; which ideally can be enjoyed by hiking enthusiasts.
5. Waterton Lakes National Park-
Waterton Lakes National Park is located on the border of the USA and Canada. Waterton Lakes in the Canadian half and the US Glacier National Park in the other half are combinedly called as the Waterton Glacier National Park.
You can visit the Waterton Lakes National Park at any time of the year but May to September seems to be the perfect months to visit. These months are ideal if you wish to see the wildlife in the national park. The temperature is also pleasant during this time.
Some of the highlights of Waterton Lakes National Park are Waterton Lake, a very beautiful and peaceful sight to visit, the Cryptic Lake Trail, a hiking trail to go around via a ferry and Cameron Lake, for those who love fishing and boating.
6. Riding Mountain National Park-
Located in Manitoba, Riding Mountain National Park is rich in wildlife and offers a variety of activities for you to try out. This National Park also holds a history of being the prisoner of war during World War II.
Riding Mountain National Park can be visited all year round, however, the months of May and early October are considered the most suitable to visit as you would get the best of nature during this time. The highlights of this national park include the townsite of Wasagaming where you can find local restaurants and mingle in the nightlife, Loon’s Island Trail where you can find a variety of wildlife like white pelicans, grey wolves, Canadian geese, cougars, elks etc.
7. Gros Morne National Park
Gros Morne National Park is located at the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador. The national park is covered with Long Range Mountains. The park gets its name from its largest peak Gros Morne.
It is highly recommended to visit Gros Morne National Park during the season of fall as you get to experience the true raw scenic views. Gros Morne look mystic with beautiful nature’s play and colour changes.
As Gros Morne National Park is covered with mountains, travellers mostly visit it for hiking and mountain-related activities. If you want to go on a boat tour then Western Brook Pond is a must-visit for you. Another sight to visit at the national park is Tablelands which also provides with options like hiking.
8. Auyuittuq National Park
Located in Nunavut, Auyuittuq National Park spreads across miles. It is basically located on Baffin Islands and is surrounded by some of the most beautiful natural artwork and long summer days.
The ideal time to visit Auyuittuq National Park is during the months of June and July as you could experience bright sun rays even in the night. The best time is between 4:00 AM- 8:00 AM as the river water level is low and you could walk for miles enjoying the natural beauty.
The highlights at the Auyuittuq National Park includes sleeping in igloos, hiking the Thor peak where you could try rock climbing as well as camping, or hiking the Akshayuk Pass which is popular for backpacking. You can also try out the guided tours at Auyuittuq National Park.
9. Prince Edward Island National Park-
The name, Prince Edward Island National Park, comes from the island itself where the national park is situated. It is located near the Atlantic Ocean. You could experience beautiful red sandstone cliffs in the park and also go through the history of the place while visiting it.
The ideal months to visit Prince Edward Island National Park are June and September if you are looking for a peaceful getaway, as during other months the crowd increases and you wouldn’t be able to enjoy the beauty to its full extent.
There are several museums you could visit at Prince Edward Island National Park if you are a history enthusiast. The most popular place to visit at the park is the Covehead Harbour Lighthouse which which offers panoramic views of the sea. Green Gables Heritage Place, located in the park, is a historic home which is featured in a series of children’s book where Anne of Green Gables lives. Other places of interest are Cavendish Beach where you can relax and Avonlea Village where you can find eateries and shops.
10. Yoho National Park-
Yoho National Park is located in British Columbia which is an escapade from the bustling city life so that you can get some peace. The park is accessible all year round but the months of May and October are the best when the Parks Canada offers camping services.
Emerald lake is one of the popular spots in Yoho National Park and as the name suggests the lake’s water takes a hue of green and looks emerald as the sun rays hit the water. Takakkaw Falls are beautiful waterfalls that are a must-visit in the national park. For those who like hiking, visit Lake O’Hara which offers hiking and other mountain-related activities.
Canadian National Parks provide some beautiful sceneries and are some of the best places to escape to from the chaos of the city life. Which according to you is the best national park in Canada? Let us know if we missed out on any of your favourite national parks in the comment section below!
PIN THIS IMAGE